Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Orienting myself (the interlude)

I had to get a domain name for my eventual website where all the hoopla will be. This was a lot more complicated than I thought. Not only do you have to buy and reserve a domain, but you have to buy hosting. A web host is where they keep all your files for the web site. It’s just a massive company with a bunch of computers that charges you to store files that go on your website located in some place far away that you have never heard of. I don’t really understand how it all works, but hopefully i will demystify that for myself.

First up was the domain name. I did some research and found that GoDaddy.com is the cheapest way to get a domain reserved. So I went there and waded through all the bullshit they threw at me and eventually, I reserved theyetiproject.com for $19.18. Awesome, I haven’t even started the business portion of this venture and already I’m 20 bucks in the hole. But I have a domain name reserved so I guess that’s something. When it comes time to actually build the website I need to find the cheapest hosting. GoDaddy charges 6 bucks a month for hosting. I’ve been informed that some companies will charge up to 20. I better do some more research before I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment